Monday, March 10, 2014

american songster




Last week, I went to see this guy (up there), Dom Flemons, and his banjo at Greenwich House, a music school and community center in the West Village. He was playing with Eli "Paperboy" Reed as part of the Café au Go Go Revisited festival, which is featuring different musicians every Thursday until April 24.

I'd been wanting to see him for awhile, having discovered his old group, the Carolina Chocolate Drops, while procrastinating on a work assignment at my internship last summer. He was more than what I imagined him being, a blues man, a soul singer, a string-picker, a bone-shaker.

He'll be back in New York at the Brooklyn Folk Festival April 18, and of course I'm going. He's touring now - see him if you can.


And here's the video that brought me to him:



P.S. The Chocolate Drops will be playing at BAM April 10!

No comments :

Post a Comment